DETECTION OF CRYOGLOBULINS
Cryoglobulins can be detected by Immunofixation or by Immunodiffusion
IMMUNODIFFUSION (OUCHTERLONY METHOD)
- Take blood in a centrifuge tube without anticoagulant.
- Immediately incubate the tube with the blood 30’/37 0C.
- Centrifuge the blood 5 minutes /3-4000rpm
- Collect the serum
- Incubate the serum for 7 days at 4-8oC
- On 8th day check if there are sediments on the bottom of the tube. If not it is negative. If yes than,
- Centrifuge 5 minutes /3-4000 rpm, carefully discard the serum, mix the sediment with 8ml PBS, incubate it 30 minutes/37oC and than incubate it at 4-8oC O/N.
- Centrifuge 5 minutes /3-4000 rpm, discard the fluid, mix the sediment with 5ml PBS, incubate it 30 minutes/37oC and than incubate it at 4-8oC O/N.
- Centrifuge 5 minutes/3-4000 rpm, carefully discard the serum, mix the sediment with 1ml PBS, incubate it 30’/37oC and run the immunodiffusion test:
- Cut the gel envelop.
- Take the gel out of the envelop carefully. Uncover the gel.
- Apply the sample and the corresponding antisera ( 10-15μl).
- Put the gel into a humid incubator in a horizontal position overnight.
- Put on the gel 2 drying blotter sheets and press it ( 2Kg) for 5 min.
- Put the gel in the washing Solution bath (0.1% Tween 20* in 0.9% NaCl) for 10 min.
- Repeat steps 14 and 15 ones again.
- Dry the gel in hot air ( less than 60 0C) .
- Put the gel in the staining solution for 60 seconds.
- Distain the gel in three sub sequential washing baths (5% Acetic Acid)
a)10μl sample, b) anti IgG, c) anti IgA, d) anti IgM, e) anti kappa, f) anti lambda, anti C’ or anti Albumin.
Incubate it O/N at room temperature in humid incubator, press it with filter papers, put it in saline for 10 min. repeat the pressing and washing procedure 2 times, dry it, stain it by amido black and distain with 5% acetic acid.